HALON is a 16 year old full-service visualization company that brings together industry leading Directors, Supervisors and Artists who are committed to advancing the art of storytelling. These storytellers are supported by a technology team who provide a state-of-the-art production methods to help our clients realize their creative vision on screen.
With headquarters in Santa Monica, HALON employs a core team of Supervisors, artists and support personnel specializing in Storytelling, Storyboarding, Pitchvis, Previs, Postvis, Techvis, VFX, and Game Cinematics. Customizable and scalable to meet the specific needs of any production, we believe in dedicating a team around a supervisor to ensuring creative continuity from start to finish.
Being a part of Halon means having the opportunity to be a part of some of the most recognizable Hollywood feature films including Star Wars and the Planet of the Apes franchises. You will also have the opportunity to work on cinematics for AAA title games, special venue projects and theme park rides.
It is our dedication to, and focus on, our supervisor talent that is the core of our company. We are looking to add to our roster and would like to invite qualified applicants to join us. If you believe in pushing the art and technology of storytelling forward then Halon wants to talk to you.
If you are interested in any of these positions, please email a resume, link to an online demo reel and a reel breakdown list to: email@example.com.
At HALON, we take pride in our artists! All artists are W-2 employees with eligibility for subsidized medical, dental, vision and life insurance as well as participation in our 401k plan. We actively support a consistent 10 hour work day with paid overtime, 5 paid holidays per year and accrued sick and vacation time!
Chief Technology Officer
Halon Entertainment is seeking a Chief Technology Officer to drive the company’s IT, engineering, and technology direction.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Drive production workflow and automation
- Develop relationships with bleeding edge technology companies with an eye on how their products can be leveraged in our pipeline
- Work directly with artists and supervisors to understand their workflows and processes with the aim of leveraging technology to support their creative vision
- Oversee the hardware and software infrastructure both onsite and for our distributed teams
- An innate curiosity and vision for how things work and how processes could be improved
- Comfortable working with remote development teams to drive software development
- Oversee and assist in the deployment of off site teams (3-25 people per team)
- Develop technical aspects of the company’s strategy to ensure alignment with its business goals
- Discover and implement new technologies that yield competitive advantage
- Represent the technological agenda in staff meetings and when making hiring decisions
- Maintaining network security with IT team
- Reviewing timeframes and budgets
- Developing and implementing disaster and emergency recovery plans
- Supervising workflow of IT department
- Point person for implementing physical and digital security as well as working with external studio security teams to ensure compliance
The position requires an existing understanding of the visual effects pipeline with an emphasis on the previsualization process and real time rendering engines. The ability to troubleshoot, config, and secure the following technologies/software packages/hardware is integral to the position.
- Proven experience as a CTO or similar leadership role
- Knowledge of technological trends to build strategy
- Understanding of budgets and business-planning
- Ability to conduct technological analyses and research
- Excellent communication skills
- Leadership, project management and organizational abilities
- Strategic thinking
- Problem-solving aptitude
- Ability to clearly explain your thought process and reasoning
- The ability to transcribe your methodologies and implementations into a workflow diagram using LucidChart / visio / omnigraffle, etc..
- Use of OBS Studio to do short screen captures to demonstrate tools and workflow
- The ability to listen, observe, and then draw conclusions as to the best path forward
- Frequent interaction with artists, developers, executives, and industry colleagues to discover pain points and stay abreast of industry moves and directions with the goal of keeping Halon at the cutting edge.
- Familiar with Shotgun Toolkit SGTK and Shotgun’s WebUI
- Ability to develop applications and scripts that interact with the Shotgun database
- An understanding of Maya, how it works, and how to develop a pipeline within it
- Mel / Python scripts, modules, plugins, etc..
- Working knowledge of Unreal Engine 4
- How the engine works, how to get data in and out, etc..
- Understanding of Adobe Creative Suite with an emphasis on After Effects CC and Premiere CC
- Familiarity with Tweak RV and Cinesync for playback and review
- Understanding of Nuke and the compositing process
- Working knowledge of Deadline / Zync for rendering
- Ability to navigate a wordpress website
- Familiarity with the administration of the GSuite group of products
- Familiarity with the Atlassian line of products including HipChat, Jira, Trello
- Understanding of various licensing systems including FlexLM and RLM
- Experience using grafana / graphite / rabbitmq for charting and graphing
- An understanding of FFmpeg/FFprobe, transcoding, codecs, and timecode
- Ability to lift 50 lbs and assist in the movement of electronic equipment between facilities
HALON Entertainment LLC. is seeking Previs Supervisors for the Los Angeles area.
What we expect:
- You must demonstrate excellent filmmaking skills and storytelling ability.
- Proactive, concise and realistic communication with top players in a production environment
- You are the first point of contact with our client(s) and must ensure that you are not only meeting their needs but continually improving on them.
- We encourage our supervisors to become a part of and participate in the creative brain-trust that drives a projects creative core.
- You must know how to connect and smoothly communicate with all other department heads and their teams for effective collaboration.
- You should have a keen knowledge and passion for technology and its application to the storytelling process.
- To deal with the pressures and demands of production with calm, grace and polite candor.
- Take responsibility for your team’s successes and failings working, to improve them at all times.
- Work seamlessly with the members of your team in a professional and courteous manner to bring out the best in all they do.
- You must work closely with your team project producer for all scheduling, deliveries and client communication.
- You will edit a first level cut of any scene or sequence on which you are supervising.
- Provide concise, fair, written and verbal feedback to artists on the team.
- Work with Engineering to consistently improve our tools, pipeline and working methodologies.
- Maintain a safe, secure, and legal work environment;
- Communicate job expectations and enforce systems, policies, procedures, and productivity standards.
- Identify opportunities within and outside of projects and make Halon home base aware of those opportunities so we can help you capture them.
- To orchestrate the delivery of 3d scene files that can be used directly by any other department in the production.
- To support the live-action crew by providing camera statistics and setup diagrams.
- Be proactive in helping those around you improve their skills and the quality of their work.
- Participate in and contribute to the overall direction of the company through group meetings, brain-trust sessions and proactive initiatives.
- Stay in touch with Halon home base to ensure proper support is being allocated and any production-company level issues are being addressed.
- Looking to the future for PR and promotional opportunities related to projects you helm.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; benchmarking state-of-the-art practices; participating in professional societies.
- Please provide examples of successful client relationships and interactions.
- Examples of an edit you have composed, animation you have done, and a portfolio of work you have been involved in supervising.
- Communication skills with top talent all the way down to the janitor
- Storytelling through editing
- Understanding of camera work, lensing and composition
- Character blocking and staging
- Overall Direction
- Amazing imagination
- Creative problem solving and overcoming challenges and obstacles
- An ability to let things go when they don’t work or are not approved
- Time management
- Love learning new things and challenging yourself personally
- You understand the difference between CG and real life and can identify when one is negatively affecting the other and offer ways to correct for it.
- Know when and how to delegate skills across your team to effectively manage tasks.
- Be reasonably dangerous in
- Art direction
- Asset creation
- Practical lighting
- Color timing
- The finer points of VFX production
- How each department in a film production operates
- Understand the needs and wants of each department
- Huge plus if you’ve done
- Location scouting
- Game development
- Rendered VFX pipeline
- Adobe Premiere CC / Avid
- Autodesk Maya
- Be reasonably dangerous in
- Autodesk Motionbuilder
- Adobe After Effects
- Huge plus if you know
- Unreal Engine
- Substance Painter
- 3ds Max
- Kudos if you’ve used
- Google Earth VR
- Any software that does cool but eclectic stuff.
Animation / Mobu Artists
HALON is looking for Animation Artists (Maya/3DStudio Max/Motionbuilder) to join their AAA title Video Game Cinematics and Trailers team in Santa Monica CA.
- Scene assembly, performance editing, and clip blending using Story Tool
- Create Animation as required, working with Mo-Cap data and/or Keyframed animations
- Execute high quality facial/lip-sync animations
- Create, document and communicate guidelines, directives, and procedures
- Accountable for animation team deliveries, ensuring defined objectives and schedule requirements are met and satisfied
Game Engine Artists (Unreal, Unity, CryEngine)
HALON is looking for Game Engine (UE, CryEngine, Unity) artists to join their AAA title Video Game Cinematics and Trailers team in Santa Monica CA.
- Develop and maintain a full render pipeline
- In-engine cinematic animation and scene assembly
- In-engine problem solving and troubleshooting
- Efficient with in-engine effects (particles, explosions, fire, etc)
- General In-engine clean-up
- 4+ years of experience or an extraordinary demo reel
- Experienced user in 3DStudio Max and/or Maya to Unreal Engine, CryEngine, or Unity imports (character/camera animation)
- Familiar with Cloud based render solutions, render passes, render prep and wrangling
- Willingness to accept direction, works well under pressure on multiple tasks, and flexible to changes
- Must be efficient, reliable, self-motivated and passionate about your work, requiring minimal supervision
- Strong organizational, planning, and prioritization skills
- Strong storytelling skills with the ability to work on the fly in a fast paced environment
- Knowledge of game pipelines including Maya, Mobu, P4, Unreal, CryEngine or the equivalent base technology
- Knowledge of production management software such as Shotgun or equivalent
- Three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in the job area offered
- Comfortable working in small group environments to accomplish larger tasks
- Self-driven, capable of working well under deadlines
Pre-vis / Post-vis Artists
HALON is looking for talented and enthusiastic Previs and Postvis artists for exciting high profile projects. If you are interested in joining the team, we are looking for applicants that have thorough knowledge of Film Making, Maya, Motion Builder and storytelling. We hire a wide range of CG Generalists.
- Strong storytelling skills with the ability to work on the fly in a fast paced environment.
- Strong Camera and Character Animation or Motion Capture editing skills.
- 3D asset creation including modeling, texturing, rigging and Photogrammetric Modeling.
- Experience in Maya, After Effects and Photoshop a must. MotionBuilder a big plus.
- Python and MEL is a plus.
- Knowledge of practical cameras, rigs and on-set production is a plus.
- Knowledge of virtual production pipelines is a plus.
- Generalist in Maya (modeling, animation, lighting, rendering)
- After Effects experience a must. (Composite, Roto, 2d tracking) (Nuke a plus)
- 3d Tracking using Syntheyes, (PFTrack or Boujou a plus.)
- Stereo compositing experience is a big plus.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills, with the ability to work well in a collaborative team environment.
- Willingness to accept direction, work well under pressure, on multiple tasks, being flexible and open to changes.
- Must be efficient, reliable, self motivated and passionate about your work, requiring minimal supervision.
HALON offers internships to qualified college and graduate level students who are interested in gaining hands on experience in the Previs field. If you’d like to get your foot in the door with some real-world experience in Previs and Postvis, please inquire about internship opportunities. Interns must be enrolled in an accredited program that will provide course credit for the internship period.